Wednesday, June 11, 2008

"Little Thoughts"

I wonder, is it normal, to talk yourself into a good day?

“Today is going to be a good day, today I will be happy, I will smile and laugh and be okay.”

And then at the end of the day, which sometimes surprises you by being an amazingly beautiful day, to still feel a little sad as you lie in the dark, longing for sleep to come.


I consoled a friend this week who also volunteers at the hospice as she mourned a resident who touched her, who got closer than most.

“How can he be here one minute and gone the next?” She agonizingly cried.

I don’t really understand what we’re doing some days, but I know we’re needed. I know even in her grief, she wouldn’t take back one single moment.

No matter what the cost.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Although it is heart wrenching to help those in need who are very sick, ones commitment to the need does not stop. Yes, there will be moments where you can be taken in by the suffering of someone you know or even someone you have never had idea about until they are placed at your side with the need for TLC. But,.... when it is all said and done anyone who is drawn into being a care giver will, put the shattered pieces back together and continue in the fight.