Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Speech at African Methodist Episcopal Convention

Hello everyone, first I just want to thank you for you’re your donations, it is much appreciated and much needed. My name is Claudine and I am a volunteer at an AIDS hospice, I’m on the schedule for mornings twice a week, but I tend to be there a lot more than that, I’ve come to think of the house as a second home. Most people would find that strange since the house is a residential AIDS hospice, but despite being an AIDS hospice it is filled with love and joy. Yes Joy! Sadness and loss is a given, but the hospice is not defined by it’s losses, but rather illuminated by the dedication and quiet strength of all the staff and volunteers who give so willingly and care so deeply for all it’s residents.

Our mission is to meet the physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of those affected by HIV/AIDS through compassionate health care and social services. We turn no one away. Again, we turn NO ONE AWAY, regardless of race, religion, or sexual preference, we fight! We fight everyday for those who are unable to fight; we are a voice for all the voices that have been silenced by this disease. Sadly, despite strong efforts, HIV/AIDS has taken a stronghold on the South and refuses to let go. In 2005 AIDS was the 4th leading cause of death for black men and the third leading cause for black women ages 25-44.

I don’t want to stand here a quote statistics to you, I’m sure we all know what the new face of AIDS looks like, but do we know who is leading the fight against this disease that is decimating our community. Who is giving their time and reaching out to the community, not only about prevention but after. After infection, who’s taking care of the sick and dying.

My grandfather was a minister and a missionary in Haiti. When AIDS first came to the already battered island where I was born, he was one of the first to go and help the sick, the infected men, women, and children.

He had a church, a congregation both in Haiti and Los Angeles, I didn’t understand why he subjected himself and his family to watch as so many died in unimaginable misery, but he always believed and said,

“The church always leads the way.”

He could not ask of his congregation what he was not willing to do, so he led by example and slowly others followed. The church always leads the way…..

I give my heart and dedication to the residents at the hospice, I bathe them, I feed them, I fix their beds, do their laundry, hold their hands, laugh and cry with them, but that is my choice. Not all the volunteers are as involved as I am, some come and clean, some help maintain the gardens, and others come and prepare meals. But it saddens me as the house is mainly filled with black residents that there are so few black volunteers or outreach groups that offer their time, whether it is cooking a meal once a month, or sending in a group to help clean and make beds, so the residents know they’re not forgotten.

Our children are dying, they’re babies, they’re so young and it breaks my heart, I can’t even begin to explain how hard it is to watch them die when their life is barely lived. By the time they come to the hospice it’s already too late, but don’t we owe it to them and to ourselves, to at least let our presence be felt, seen, and heard.

Mother Theresa once said that AIDS victims are God in a hideous disguise and if you look into their eyes you’ll see Jesus. I’ve looked into their eyes and I understand. Jesus was a champion of the poor, the sick, the unwanted, the oppressed, the abandoned and forgotten. Does that not describe many people living with HIV/AIDS today? They are at the hospice because they have no where else to go and the hospice cannot survive without the help of the community.

And Jesus said, “Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me- you did it to me.”

Again, thank you for remembering us today and thank you for your time.

No comments: