Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Newport Menthol Revisited

You were lying in bed when I walked in your room to say hello. Your arms stretched over your eyes as if to ward off unwanted thoughts. I hesitated in the doorway for a moment that could only be seen by me. Those long frail arms shocked me; the outline of elbow against skin hurt me.

I see you.

I know that you will be leaving me soon and there’s so much I wish I could say, but I don’t have the right. I don’t have the right to remind you of something you doggedly avoid at all cost. I can’t tell you how much I’ll miss you because you won’t admit that you’re leaving.

So, I walked over to your side and leaned over and kissed your jutted out cheekbone and smiled for you just like I knew you needed me to.

I hope I can survive you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your relationship with him is beautifully sad.
you both will survive in different ways.

claudine said...

Thanks Oshun Kunle for realizing that BOTH of us will survive. I want more for him than just existing. I want him to come back from oblivion with a voice.