Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Checkmate

I was helping him shower and his gratitude moved me, or would have moved me if I didn’t block out the thankfulness in his eyes and the humble way he appreciated every spray of water that I maneuvered around his body. I washed his feet, between his toes, scrubbed his back, arms, legs, and then finally, his hair. I massaged the shampoo into his scalp while his words of thanks echoed, then bounced far away from me.

I didn’t want to be drawn in. I didn’t want to add yet another to the group of residents that have invaded my heart and are still clinging by incredible sheer will to life.

I struggle always, ALWAYS with boundaries. When to pull back, how to give compassionate care without losing myself in their pain, without losing myself…..

I’ve watched him from afar, he was almost independent and needed little patient care. That has now changed and he can no longer do anything without assistance.

I realize now that my attempts have been useless. He had me from that very first shower, the portrait of a man who had been forgotten, the hunger for human kindness, when just a simple act of washing his hair reverberated gratitude that didn’t bounce off me as I thought or wished, but stayed. Hibernating in the spaces of my heart that I thought were already filled, but that’s the thing about the heart, there’s always room for one more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is very hard to assist those in need and not allow yourself to be drawn in. It is the humanity in us that will pull us in. However, it seems that you will remain focused and feeling and simply offer the best care you know how for the residents in your heart. Be strong,confident, resilant and when you need help after you have given it be sure to stretch out with the same eyes of need that the resident has shown you and receive care so that you can carry on with being that caring compassionate human.

arlan said...

Hi Claudine, it was great meeting you and Sacha today. I look forward to reading more of your blog. Please keep in touch. Thanks,

-arlan

claudine said...

Anonymous, thank you for reminding me that I also need to recharge after I have given. To lean on those who care and try not to carry the weight of it all. I can't be there for those who need me if I let myself get worn down....

Oshun Kunle said...

The heart's ability are endless...
its strange how immense gratitude can be saddening.