Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Linger

So, things at the hospice?

Pretty much the same. The residents have remained, they decline, bounce back, decline further, rally for a day or two, and then decline again. It’s a constant merry go round, baited breath, what’s gonna happen next. But they’re all hanging on, clinging to every minute, every second, some better then others.

It’s been a long couple of months and I’m a little worn out. I think, maybe, a lot worn out. It’s hard to comprehend, this slow, long, death.

I keep waiting for the inevitable, and it’s the waiting rather than the inevitable that is invading and bleeding into other aspects of my life. I worry when I leave, that this may be the last goodbye, and part of me wants it to be.

How much suffering before it is enough? How much can a person endure when the ending is already written? I used to believe in miracles, and you know what?

I still do!

So fight, rally, cling. Sunrise and sunset awaits to console you when all else is hidden and lost in the clouds of confusion. Unfinished.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

the first thing that came to mind was living in the present...
and taking each moment for what its worth
so when your at the hospice be there
and when your in your private life be there...
so that the two don't take from each other
I know you know this, and its easier said then done... if it were that easy we would all be Buddha ;)
I'm just sayin is all.

Muah!

Anonymous said...

Hi Claudine,
The time melts one day into another for many. My days melt into other waiting on the blood counts and worrying about every sniffle or itch. HIV has meant that I isolate myself in life. But I don't want to in death. So I'm learning to take it one minute at a time. Thank you for being there.

claudine said...

Oshun Kunle, good rule of thumb, not so easy to follow. This week I feel like it's been such a struggle, I want the important people in my life to understand without explanation. BUT, I was told by a wise man that no one outside the hospice can really understand what I do, what I go through and the sacrifices I make. He was right, most of the time he is.....

claudine said...

+L, It's always great to hear from you! Don't isolate yourself, the battle that you are fighting requires many soldiers. You need mental and emotional rejuvenation that will only be found by contact and communication with people that you feel safe with. Find that outlet. It maybe difficult at first, opening yourself up to possible hurt and let down. But the people who stand with you now, will most likely be the ones who will stand with you when it counts the most. And, as you thank me for being there, I also thank you for the same. Thanks for reading, thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll keep you in my thoughts and wishes.

Take care,
C