Thursday, March 20, 2008

Faith

When my best friend’s husband found out I would be volunteering at an AIDS hospice, he asked if I was a religious person. He said something like “usually people who work in that capacity have strong religious faith to see them through the dark times.”

I’m beginning to understand where he was coming from.

At the end of the day, you need something more than friends, family to help carry the burden. Somewhere bigger to empty your soul so it’s not stained by the weight of your sadness, blackened by the unfairness of lives taken before they’ve been fully lived. You need to believe that there’s a reason; that it’s not all in vain. You need to believe in something, or else you begin to lose hope.

I’m still searching. But, at least now I’m searching.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope your search leads you to the larger picture,all things do happen for a reason. The reasons will not always coincide with what we feel should happen. However, perhaps we can take these experiences and try and teach, learn and grow as better people.

Anonymous said...

Even the most religious of people would have a hard time dealing with the sadness you experience every day. Even though religion might help you try to justify why these people you encounter every day suffer so much, the fact of the matter is so many lives are lost for what seems like no reason. Its still a greatly depressing, upsetting thing...no matter how much "faith" you have. I'm happy you continue to wake up every morning and volunteer. That's what I call faith.

claudine said...

Anonymous,
Thanks for your comment. I hope that my search does lead me to the bigger picture and hopefully my experiences will help me grow into a better person who is able to learn more and pass on that knowledge to others.

claudine said...

Anonymous,
Thank you for reminding me of the true meaning of "faith"

You are right, every morning that I go to the hospice I show faith in what I believe is true. I will hold on to that next time I feel overwhelmed by loss.