Monday, December 3, 2007

Red Ribbon

Saturday, December 1st, World AIDS Day.

My day started at 6:00 am, After going over my speech a couple of times I met up with Bizzle my partner in all things having to do with the hospice, and, a volunteer coordinator who helped arrange my speaking at the Church.

The ceremony was simple, yet beautiful, with meditation and music, marked by moments of silence. Youthsound, a boys ensemble, played a peaceful, thought provoking piece right before my speech. Their music helped center me, clear my head, so I could deliver my speech with passion and clarity. Other guest speakers included Michael Tolle from Baylor Pediatric AIDS Initiative, and Adam Robinson from First Unitarian Universalist Church.

At the end of the ceremony, a woman whom I had never met, came up to me and hugged me. She clung to me and held me tight, whispering "thank you" over and over again in my ear. I don't know her name or her story, but I'll always remember that hug.

Later that day Bizzle and I went to a couple of other World AIDS Day event. We also stopped by the hospice to say hello to the residents. They’re the driving force behind everything I do, so I couldn’t picture spending World AIDS Day without seeing them.

That night we went to see a benefit performance for HIV/AIDS. It was my first time seeing the show and it was amazing. All the performances were excellent and I was proud to be there. The show ended with the performers: dancers, singers, actors, placing candles on the stage. The entire stage covered with candles that the audience, one by one, climbed onto the stage to light in remembrance of those past.

Bizzle and I made our way to the stage and each lit a candle. It was so beautiful to see, the entire stage lit up with candles by all of us remembering those we had lost to AIDS.

I kept expecting to break down. I kept waiting for the hurt in my heart to engulf me. It wasn’t until the end, when I noticed that the performers had to come back on stage to light the remaining candles, that I let myself feel what was in my heart.

All day I had noticed the lack of attendance at all the events that I went to. I kept wondering why there were so few people out in support of World AIDS Day. Why are we forgetting that AIDS is still a dominant killer? And why don’t we care anymore? These are the questions I asked myself as I thought of all the residents at the hospice who had died and all of the residents who are still dying.

Thank you to all that came out to show your support, thank you to all who remember. Special thanks to Jenn, Jeff, Sacha, Taiwo, and Soleil who woke up at the crack of dawn to come hear me speak because they love and support me. I wish that same love and support for everyone in the struggle……..

No comments: